Saturday, September 24, 2011

Zah.

I like pizza.  A lot!  But, I am usually disappointed when pizza is ordered.  It’s just not very good!  But I think I have solved this problem.  I have found a dough recipe that is easy and freezes well.  Sean has come up with a sauce that is amazing and also freezes well.  Next step is for me to make my own mozzarella, which I have the rennet and citric acid to do, but just haven’t gotten to it yet.  Until then I love the “fresh” mozzarella from Costco.  The only trick is that you need to pull your dough out the night before and stick it in the fridge.  Mike, trust me, you should do this!!

Pizza Dough for Thin Crust:  http://www.food.com/recipe/pizza-dough-for-thin-crust-pizza-70165

Note!  I make the following changes to the above recipe….

  • After step 8 (after the rise) I divide into 2 balls, coat well in olive oil and put in freezer bags.
  • I do not use cornmeal (step 10), I prefer oil.
  • The day before I pull out baggie and put in the fridge
  • I “pre-bake” the crust.  This really, really is key in my opinion.  I take a cookie sheet (round if you prefer…), oil it well and using my fingers stretch the dough to the size I want.  Dock the dough.  Put in the oven (at 425) for about 10 minutes, until it is set but not browned.  Pull it out and put on your toppings.  At this point when you return it to the oven you can either leave it on the sheet tray or put it directly on the oven rack.  It will be crispier if you put it right on the rack.  Because you prebaked you will not have to worry about stickage or getting a floppy pizza with all the toppings into the oven. 
  • fyi…I have found if I don’t freeze the dough it is pretty elastic and is much more difficult to stretch out, so I prefer to plan ahead and use rested dough.

Sauce:

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

1 1/2 T. evoo

2 T. fresh basil (dried works if you can’t get fresh)

1 1/2 t. dried oregano

1 1/2 t. sugar

1/2 t. garlic

3/4 t. salt

mix and use/freeze….yummmmmm

In fact….hmmm….I bet if you parbaked the crust and put on the toppings then re-froze the whole thing you could cook it like a frozen pizza…hmmm…ok, now I need a bigger freezer!

DSCN0887DSCN0888

No comments:

Post a Comment